“Ideally a painter (and, generally, an artist) should not become conscious of his insights: without taking the detour through his reflective processes, and incomprehensibly to himself, all his progress should enter so swiftly into the work that he is unable to recognize them in the moment of transition. Alas, the artist who waits in ambush there, watching, detaining them, will find them transformed like the beautiful gold in the fairy tale which cannot remain gold because some small detail was not taken care of.”
–Rainer Maria Rilke
The end of the year is a time of transition that often spawns reflections on the past and resolutions for the future.
How are you with transitions? My friend Andrea sent me a list of questions for making the most out of this year-end transition.
Happy New Year!
Completing & Remembering 2009
- What was your biggest triumph in 2009?
- What was the smartest decision you made in 2009?
- What one word best sums up and describes your 2009 experience?
- What was the greatest lesson you learned in 2009?
- What was the most loving service you performed in 2009?
- What is your biggest piece of unfinished business in 2009?
- What are you most happy about completing in 2009?
- Who were the 3 people that had the greatest impact on your life in 2009?
- What was the biggest risk you took in 2009?
- What was the biggest surprise in 2009?
- What important relationship improved the most in 2009?
- What compliment would you liked to have received in 2009?
- What compliment would you liked to have given in 2009?
- What else do you need to do or say to be complete with 2009?
- What would you like to be your biggest triumph in 2010?
- What advice would you like to give yourself in 2010?
- What major effort you are planning to improve your financial results in 2010?
- What would you be most happy about completing in 2010?
- What major indulgence are you willing to experience in 2010?
- What would you most like to change about yourself in 2010?
- What are you looking forward to learning in 2010?
- What do you think your biggest risk will be in 2010?
- What about your work, are you most committed to changing & improving?
- What is one as yet undeveloped talent you are willing to explore in 2010?
- What brings you the most joy & how are you going to do or have more in 2010?
- Who or what (other than yourself) are you most committed to loving & serving?
- What one word would you like to have as your theme in 2010?